Saturday, July 30, 2005

the bluebird has landed

i have lived in boise for about a week now, and i have yet to see a potato.

our place is good. we live in the oldest apartment building in boise, built in 1908 by the Hummel Firm - the same firm that built the state capitol building. it's a nice, old apartment consisting of brick walls, hardwood floors, and ten foot high ceilings. we live about a block from the boise co-op, which is idaho's version of whole foods, and about a five minute walk from downtown. doug martsch (built to spill) lives about six blocks from me.

the bad news is we don't have our stuff yet. the movers say it will probably arrive at the end of next week. luckily, we have access to a washer/dryer, so we don't have to wear dirty clothes.

i want my stuff. more specifically, i want my music and books.

we saw sufjan stevens last sunday, which was a pleasant surprise. he was very good.

beer is cheap here. my plan for a cigarette free idaho existence has already failed. it's unbearably hot. i miss friends, but have the feeling that this will ultimately prove to be a good place. we don't have internet at home yet (i am at the fantastic boise public library right now), but when we do, be ready for the first installment on the "here we have idaho" blog.

yesterday we got idaho drivers licenses and plates. that took away my california license, presumably so i wouldn't sell it to a desparate idaho teenager hell bent on underage drinking. this was hard to understand, as idaho drivers licenses seem like they would be very easy to forge. i was sad to see the "california me" vanish into a void of confiscated identification cards. we opted for plates featuring a picture of a bluebird. it was that or a plate boasting "idaho - famous potatoes."

miss you all, more to come...

4 Comments:

Blogger EMILY said...

miss you too. you have something special on its way.

7/30/2005 07:14:00 PM  
Blogger miller said...

Is Amanda pregnant?

7/31/2005 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger kcs said...

well, can I break the awkward silence? and tell you a. hamiltons that i look forward to reading more from ya'll and your idaho adventures.

8/01/2005 04:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Okay, I know I never post on the porch, but secretly I lurk.

And after this post I couldn't help but tell you two things:
a) That whole Sufjan thing; did you know that our brother-in-law (Hashifa Vachoo's husband) James, who's blog is, holidaysandhotwings.blogspot.com is a fan, too? And, supposedly I totally missed the Sufjan boat because he spent time in Holland, MI?
b) I hope you run into my friends the Smiths. Bridget and I grew up together in Bakersfield and then she and her family moved to Boise in a dump truck in the 4th grade. Very cool family: Dale, Sharon, Bridget and Tricia.

Just thought you know. Happy new home!

8/05/2005 10:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home