Wednesday, December 14, 2005

travels

Travels to the Dominican Republic. I am enjoying my first trip to the Caribbean. I have been in the DR for only two days and will be leaving back to the US Tomorrow. Objective is simply, to acquaint myself with the nationals and get an idea of what it might mean to bring some teams down here. The culture is unique. Theres an interesting aggressiveness which plays itself out on the roads, and in the supermarkets, very little regard for rules or structure... go when you want to go... and yet there also seems to be a prevailing laid back culture, also typical for developing countries. Men chill, play dominos all day in front of their brightly colorful homes. laid back can also be perceived as laziness which feeds into the third world or developing mentality. Kids play stick ball on every corner. Baseball is huge down here... almost inbred, rules change, the game gets a bit deformed, but the heart remains the same... pitch, hit, and run. I hear them right now, in an ally no bigger than 5 feet wide there are bunches of kids squeezed in taking their turn in a remarkablyorganized game.

1 Comments:

Blogger onebeltfitsall said...

Hey Dan, just curious what organization you're looking at working with in the D.R.? I know a really great one that both Jen and I have gone with. They're actually friends of my family. Toss me an email.

geto@aol.com

12/16/2005 10:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home