Friday, November 18, 2005

Lunch

So I'm at lunch today. Eating a delicious cheese burger from a local joint right up the street from work. Enjoying the sunny weather... And quite in the sunny mood. Last night I purchased and had a car stereo installed into my Honda civic, as many of you know I have been living without my stereo since it got stolen about 4 months ago. Its been a difficult 4 months of silence slowly turning into audibly commenting on other drivers, turning into talking nonsense and going crazy. Lots of rhyming words, lots of humming. Anyways, not to worry, I am back to enjoying music in my vehicle.
so that brings us to lunch today. I am sitting in my car enjoying the sunny whether and eating lunch in the parking lot of a beautiful park... Just taking it all in with some background music, when an SUV swings up and two guys get out... They approach me and tell me they are stereo installers and were mistakenly given extra speakers from the warehouse. If they don't make money on it their manager will, one fellow flashes me this magazine which shows the speakers value, HDTV magazine, showing these exact speakers for 1500. Dollars. I tell them.
"Wow, that's one hell of a deal, but I don't need any"
They say:
"dude I can give it to you for cheap"
I say
'ok brothers, how much'
they say:
400 each
I say:
that's silly and goodbye
they say:
Well how much do you got
I say:
All I got is 100 dollars and I am not going to be buying any speakers. But good luck with selling those.
They say:
Good bye
I say:
bye
They leave and I continue eating my cheese burger. Delicious. It is still sunny and nice and I continue staring at my new stereo.
They come back. Say,
we don't have time to sell to anyone else, we got to go install the rest of these, you got the 100 dollars
I say:
shit, let me take a look at the speakers...
their big and quite impressive. Their really nice looking. I say:
How do I know they aren't 'hot'?
they show me the invoice, and sure enough they've got an invoice saying that they got 4 speakers, leaving them with two unaccounted for speakers.
I say alright, lets do it. We make the exchange, and as quickly as it started its ended. I head back to the office, kinda excited, kinda nervous. Look up the name that's on the owners manual, Dahlton, and quickly find out that I have been scammed. It hurts, deep in the gut, it hurts. Their called white van speakers scams, and they've gotten people all around the US for 10 years. They say that the speakers are only worth about 50 dollars each, but that would mean my guys didn't make any money, so I am kinda doubting mine work at all. well at least it was only 100 dollars. and so that was lunch today, I find myself 100 dollars short and a couple of bum speakers in my car, but the cheese burger was delicious and I still got my car stereo... good day.

3 Comments:

Blogger kcs said...

the white van, always the white van!

11/18/2005 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger andy said...

Don't worry Dan, I've lost a lot of money to scams... homeless people, las vegas, internet get-rich schemes. maybe you can turn around and scam someone else with the speakers.

11/19/2005 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

thats funny andy... the website that talked about this scam went on to speak about how about 1/2 the people who get scammed (young men early 20s) go on to try the scam on someone else... i won't though, they'll make cool plant holders... at least for now.

11/19/2005 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home