Monday, October 10, 2005

Dodgers, Raiders and Tommie

Is everyone enjoying the playoffs in baseball? I listened to alot of the playoffs the past two years driving from aromas to monterey/seaside for school over at CSUMB. I have to admit, listening to baseball on radio is better than listening to football on radio. I root for the Dodgers and will always remember them taking apart the A's back in '88. The miracle home run by Kirk Gibson; Orel's pitching, I will always remember this series. Where I was, who was there, the pizza birthday party I went to. My grandparents were big Dodger fans. My grandpa had died that year; we came over and watched the series with my grandma. She loved baseball, even had an aquaintance that played for the Dodgers, Wally Moon. They were from the same town, Bay, Arkansas. One time at a game in San Fran, most likely at Candlestick, though I guess it could have been at Seals Stadium, my grandma got close to the field during batting practice and yelled, "HEEYYYY BOOGER!" I am not quite sure if that was a nickname for everyone from Bay or if that was a special one just for Wally Moon, but he heard it and knew it had to be someone from Bay because only someone from Bay would know such a moniker. They talked for a bit and took photos and even got some home movie of Wally and Grandma talking. The Dodgers won that game and I think Wally even hit a homer, but maybe he didnt. My grandparents got back on the bus headed for Salinas and enjoyed the silence of the other passengers, all Giants fans. Harry and Tommie had a great outing. My grandma's nickname was Tommie. She had always been a tomboy growing up, so.... Her entire family never called her by her given name Elwanda or Bertha. She had two names because her birth certificate had both and it was never figured out which one was her official name. She loved baseball and she loved the Dodgers. Sometimes I wish I loved baseball like my grandma did, but I do not. Maybe because I could never field very well, or because I never played Little League. I was always drawn more to football. I was better at it and my dad was and still is a big football fan and an even bigger Oakland Raider fan. He started to love the Raiders back when he was in the National Guard. He learned to love three things while in the Guard....1)coffee 2)cigarettes 3)the Raiders....he quit number 2 thankfully but the other two stuck. I love football and I love the raiders and I have to admit...after the Dodgers had again blown up in the 2nd half of the season and they were done I started to root for two teams, the Angels and any team that was playing the A's. My dad and I have 50 yard line tickets, row 13 for October 23 in Oakland. I wanted the infield to be gone...I hate watching football with that infield. It is beautiful for a baseball game but absolutely revolting for a football game. This turned out way too long and should have been posted on my own blog site, but I couldnt get it sent over there. I miss my grandma.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seriously said...

i miss my grandma too.

10/10/2005 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

word

10/10/2005 06:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home