Tuesday, July 07, 2009

MJ Memorial


So I got a ticket to the Jackson memorial which was held at Staples center this morning. I took the metro and arrived pretty early but there was already a big line forming. They had the whole LA Live area blockaded, only allowing ticket holders in the vicinity. Anyway I got into staples about 830, grabbed a muffin (banana nut) and a coffee and waited. Seats were good (Section 209) and offered a nice view of all the business (not as good as when Pool and I were 3rd row at Fleetwood Mac last month). The atmosphere was very surreal, especially when the casket was brought on the floor. Generally, the audience was respectful and quiet during the ceremony- I think a lot of people were still surprised that they were actually there. There was a bunch of performances- the best being Stevie Wonder and Lionel Richie. The ceremony was long, awkward, and somewhat boring- but it felt honest. The reality that a family was grieving over a death was powerfully evident, and I don't know if that fully translated via TV or internet. Things felt kind of thrown together, but that's the nature of funerals I guess. I was glad to be there honestly. Everyone has seen clips and pictures I'm sure, but I thought I'd offer my experience anyway

3 Comments:

Blogger Seriously said...

booring.

please be less respectful in the future.

7/07/2009 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger dmh said...

"Michael, you eat fried chicken?! That was the best moment of my life."
-Magic Johnson

7/08/2009 05:42:00 AM  
Blogger andy said...

...yeah, hindsight being 20/20, I should've bum-rushed the casket wearing a riobravo.com shirt... or spit in Blanket's face, or rape LaToya, or...

7/08/2009 08:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home